SMALLPET / new pets
So, You Want a Rabbit?
Friendly, gentle and oh–so-silent, rabbits make excellent companions.
6 things to know about your rabbit:
- They’re herbivores (a.k.a. vegetarians) whose favorite food is...hay. That’s right; hay is not just for horses. It’s great for your rabbit’s teeth and digestive system.
- Rabbits like to play. Let them out of their cage for some daily social time with you, and get down to their level by lying on the floor.
- They chew. Give them appropriate treats and toys to gnaw on, and make sure they don’t sink their teeth into power cords, electrical outlets or house plants while they’re hopping around the house.
- They get along well with roommates. For the best bunny bonding, try keeping two females from the same family. If you have male and female rabbits, be sure to get them neutered or spayed. Otherwise they’ll multiply like, well, you know.
- Rabbits groom themselves, but they also love a gentle brushing.
- Rabbits can live eight to 10 years with proper care.