REPTILE / nutrition
What Should I Feed My Bearded Dragon?
Veggies, insects and other “beardie” delicacies
What’s on the bearded dragon menu?
- Protein: Bearded dragons enjoy live mealworms, waxworms and crickets that have been “gut loaded,” which means fed lizard-friendly vitamins and nutrients. Young beardies should eat once a day; adults may only need to dine every two days. If beardies don’t finish their entire meal, try feeding them less next time.
- Calcium: Twice a week, dust your bearded dragon’s live food with a calcium supplement (ask a PetSmart associate for details).
- Vegetables: Veggies should make up 25% of a young beardie’s diet and half of an adult’s. Favorites include kale, collard greens, mustard greens, zucchini and shredded carrots.
- Packaged food: Commercial food adds variety to a beardie’s diet. Many brands are available in high-protein formulas for juvenile lizards and lower-protein versions for the adult beardies.
- Water: If your beardie doesn’t seem interested in drinking from a shallow dish of water placed in their habitat, you can lightly mist their fruits and vegetables with clean water.
shop this article
All Living Things® Bearded Dragon Diet$6.49$6.175% off Auto Ship
Rep-Cal Maintenance Formula Adult Bearded Dragon Food$8.49$8.075% off Auto Ship
National Geographic™ Juvenile Bearded Dragon Food$6.99$6.645% off Auto Ship
All Living Things® Freeze Dried Medley Bearded Dragon Food$7.99
Rep-Cal Growth Formula Juvenile Bearded Dragon Food$9.09$8.645% off Auto Ship
Fluker's® Freeze Dried Buffet Blend for Adult Bearded Dragons$4.40 $4.99$4.185% off Auto Ship
Zoo Med™ Natural Adult Bearded Dragon Food$7.21 $7.49$6.855% off Auto Ship
National Geographic™ Adult Bearded Dragon Entrée$6.99$6.645% off Auto Ship
All Living Things® Bearded Dragon Diet$8.99$8.545% off Auto Ship
Fluker's® Freeze Dried Medley Bearded Dragon Treat$7.53 $9.99$7.155% off Auto Ship
Fluker's® Buffet Blend for Bearded Dragons$5.32 $7.49$5.055% off Auto Ship
Zoo Med™ Sampler Bearded Dragon Food$12.99$12.345% off Auto Ship