FISH / new pets
How to Take Care of Your Fancy Goldfish
- 4 Cool Facts About Fancy Goldfish
- Tips for How to Take Care of Your Fancy Goldfish:
- How Should You Set Up a Fancy Fish Aquarium?
- How to Introduce Your Fancy Goldfish to Their Tank:
- What Do Fancy Goldfish Eat?
- How Can I Keep My Fancy Goldfish Healthy?
- Pet Safety Tips:
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
4 Cool Facts About Fancy Goldfish
1. They can live for a very long time – up to 30 years!
2. Some verities can grow up to a foot long.
3. They should only ever live with other fancy goldfish.
4. Fancy goldfish have been kept as pets for over 600 years originating in China.
Tips for How to Take Care of Your Fancy Goldfish:
These fish are peaceful swimmers that make great pets. When it learning how to take care of goldfish, there are a few important things to have ready so that they can live the best life ever.
How Should You Set Up a Fancy Fish Aquarium?
- Aquarium/Fish Tank - Fancy goldfish can grow quite large, some types grow up to a foot (30 cm). This means they need plenty of room in their tank to swim around. These fish need at least 20-gallons (75 liters) per fish.
- Aquarium Stand - Water is very heavy, so your fish tank needs a strong base to sit on. The safest option for your pet is an aquarium stand designed to handle the weight of a fish tank.
- Substrate - When it comes to the substrate you will put at the bottom of the tank, aquarium gravel is the best option for fancy goldfish. Use about 1-2 inches of gravel on the bottom of the tank. Gravel comes in all different sizes and shapes so that you can make your tank look precisely how you want it to. Always rinse new aquarium gravel with tap water before putting it in the tank. This will remove any excess dirt attached to it, so that it doesn't dirty the water.
- Dechlorinated Water - It’s never a good idea to put your fish in tap water that hasn’t been treated with a water conditioner to remove chlorine because chlorine is toxic to fish. You can buy water conditioners and water testing kits to make sure your aquarium is in perfect condition for your pet.
- Aquarium Heater - Even though fancy goldfish are considered a cool water species, it’s important to have an Aquarium heater installed to keep the tank from getting too cold. A heater is the best way to keep your pet’s tank at the perfect temperature. After you insert the heater, wait 24 hours. Next, check the temperature and adjust if necessary.
- Thermometer - Fancy goldfish prefer their water temperature between 65-75°F (18-24°C). Use an aquarium thermometer to monitor the temperature.
- Fish Tank Filter - An aquarium filter is designed to help keep your pet’s water clean. Filters need to be powerful enough to process all of the water in the tank several times every hour. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for the size of your tank to know what kind will work best.
- Fish Tank Cleaning Supplies - Even with a filter, your fish tank will need to have regular maintenance done, like partial water changes and filter cleaning. Use fish tank cleaning supplies like algae scrubbers to remove algae build-up from your pet’s tank.
- Aquarium Décor - Decorating your fish’s tank is one of the best parts of bringing them home. You get to choose aquarium plants, backgrounds, ornaments and other aquarium décor that showcase your personality and make your fish feel at home.
- Starter Kit - If you’re looking to find all of the essentials in one place, try a fish tank starter kit.
How to Introduce Your Fancy Goldfish to Their Tank:
- Bring your fancy goldfish home right away after you buy them.
- Place them in your aquarium — inside their bag — for 15 minutes so they can get used to the new water temperature.
- Next, use a net to transfer the goldfish into your aquarium. Do not add any bag water to your aquarium.
- Add one or two fish at a time to make sure the filter can handle all the waste produced by the new fish.
- The chemical balance in your aquarium will change with every new fish you introduce, so check the tank’s ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels regularly.
What Do Fancy Goldfish Eat?
Goldfish will thrive on a diet of quality fish food flakes or pellets that are formulated for goldfish. To reduce the risk of buoyancy disorders caused when goldfish gulp air at the water surface, it is best to feed your goldfish sinking pellets or place the flake food under the surface of the water.
How Can I Keep My Fancy Goldfish Healthy?
If your fancy goldfish display any of these symptoms of illness or distress, talk to a PetSmart store associate or a veterinarian familiar with fish health:
- Decreased appetite
- Fins clamped to the sides
- Scraping body on rocks
- Abdominal swelling
- Inflamed or discolored skin or fins
- Floating at the surface and/or difficulty swimming down
Pet Safety Tips:
- Fish and aquatic animals can transmit disease to humans. Wash your hands with soap and water before and after interacting with your aquarium. Children, pregnant women, older adults and people with immune-system problems should take extra care.
- Keep fish away from food and areas where food is prepared.
- Never release fish into the wild.
- Adults should assist children with hand washing after contact with a pet, its habitat or aquarium water.
- Always add a dechlorinator or water conditioner to tap water before adding it to the aquarium.
- Do not use soaps or detergents to clean aquariums or décor, since they are toxic to fish.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much is a gold fish?
How much a goldfish is varies depending on where you buy it and what type of gold fish it is. At this time, PetSmart sells many different types of goldfish for prices anywhere between $0.16 and $34. Breeds include comet goldfish, shubunkin goldfish, fancy goldfish, black moor goldfish and more.
How long do goldfish live for?
4 cool facts about Fancy Goldfish are that they can live for a very long time (10-30 years), they can grow up to a foot in length, they should only every live with other fancy goldfish and fancy goldfish are larger and slower where feeder goldfish are small and fast.
Are goldfish easy to take care of?
Fancy Goldfish are peaceful swimmers that make great pets. When it comes to their care, there are a few important things to have ready so that they can live the best life ever like how to set up their aquarium, how to introduce them to their tank, what fancy goldfish eat and how to keep them healthy.
Do goldfish get lonely?
There is no way to know 100% whether or not a goldfish can be lonely. It is OK to keep two goldfish together in an aquarium to ensure they always have a companion.
Information in this article isn't intended to diagnose, treat or cure your pet and isn't a substitute for veterinary care provided by a licensed veterinarian. For any medical or health-related advice concerning the care and treatment of your pet, contact your veterinarian.