PetSmart Re-Opens Grooming Salons in Select Locations
April 17, 2020
On March 21, we made the difficult decision to temporarily close our grooming salons out of concern for the safety and wellbeing of both our associates and customers. During this time, we redesigned how we operate our salons to deliver the best possible care and experience for everyone.
Unlike hair and nail salons for people, regular pet grooming is important for every dog, regardless of size, age and coat type. It helps prevent common problems such as excessive shedding, skin and paw irritation, painful hair mats and excessively long toenails.
Over the years, we have learned from pet parents that maintaining their dog’s skin and coat at home can be challenging. Dogs come in all shapes, sizes and temperaments, and the risk of a relatively minor mistake, like cutting the quick of nails, can quickly escalate to more serious veterinary issues. Similarly, a dog with a severely matted coat may fall outside of a pet parent’s ability to groom. And sometimes groomers can be the first to recognize a pet’s medical issue like fleas and ticks or an ear infection and alert the pet parent to seek veterinary care.
Because professional grooming is such an important part of keeping pets healthy, and many of our customers and associates have asked us to, we re-opened our salons in select locations on Monday, April 6. Some salon locations remain closed in accordance with government orders or if associates have chosen not to return to work. We will continue to monitor all areas and adjust as appropriate.
To find out which salons will be open, please click here. Temporary hours for most salons will be 9 a.m. ‐ 5:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday, and 10 a.m. ‐ 6:30 p.m. on Sundays. Please go online or call your local salon to confirm hours of operation. You can also book an appointment online or through the PetSmart mobile app.
In our salons, we implemented stringent new measures that follow the social distancing and sanitary guidelines detailed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Our changes for the safety of our customers and staff include:
- Appointments-only: We are currently taking all services by appointment-only, including walk-in services. Please call your local salon to schedule an appointment.
- Curbside check-in and pick-up. We are offering this new convenient option during select times of the day.
- Pet handling. We are transferring pets to and from their salon services with our own slip leads. We will not handle anything belonging to pets, including collars and leashes.
- Social Distancing. To help keep six feet of distance between people at all possible times, tape has been placed on salon floors in areas indicating where customers should stand and where groomers can walk. Our groomers have been instructed to maintain a distance of at least six feet between themselves and any person, including fellow groomers.
- Group size. We are limiting the total number of groomers in our salons consistent with our social distancing requirements, instructing them to work at every other table and limiting only one at a time in the pet bathing area. Also, we are only allowing one pet family at a time in the salon lobby.
- Salon hygiene. We continue to perform additional cleaning measures between each service and at the end of each day.
As recently confirmed by the CDC, there has not been evidence that companion animals, including pets, can spread the virus that causes COVID-19 to people or that they might be a source of infection in the United States.
The safety of our associates and customers is our most important priority. We partnered with a team of our skilled groomers to review these operating changes and provide input. We will also continue to support any associate who feels sick or does not feel comfortable coming to work. Additionally, only groomers who feel comfortable working in the salons are being scheduled.