REPTILE / new pets
Fire Belly Toad Care Guide
Tips from home to health to food and fun
4 things to know about fire belly toads
- Size: They grow to be up to 3 inches (8 cm) long
- Lifespan: Fire belly toadslive for about 5 years
- Behavior: They are most active at night
- Habitat: They need a habitat with both land and water areas
How do I set up a fire belly toad habitat?
- House your toad in a glass terrarium that’s 10 gallons or larger.
- Layer the bottom of the terrarium with 2 to 3 inches (5-8 cm) of aquarium gravel. Slope the gravel up on one side to create a dry area above water level, or use a large dish to create a water area.
- Use a filter to keep the water clean.
- Keep the humidity level in the terrarium at or near 80%, monitored with a hygrometer (humidity gauge). Add live plants to the terrarium to help maintain humidity, and mist the habitat if needed with a spray bottle of water.
- Keep the habitat between 72 to 78 degrees Fahrenheit (22 to 26 Celsius). Install a daytime UVB light and use an under-tank or aquarium heater if necessary.
What do fire belly toads eat?
- Fire belly toads eat crickets, waxworms and red wigglers. Feed young toads once a day and adults 3 or 4 times a week.
- Dust insects with calcium supplement 2 or 3 times a week.
How can I keep my fire belly toad healthy?
Even a settled-in toad can get sick. Notice any of the following signs? Contact a veterinarian or a PetSmart store associate
- Red streaks in droppings for more than 2 days
- Eating or drinking less; weight loss
- Swollen joints
- Discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth
- Red, discolored or inflamed skin
PET SAFETY TIPS
- Fire belly toads have sensitive skin and should not be handled much.
- Always supervise children around fire belly toads.
- All animals can carry viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic diseases that are contagious to humans. Fire belly toads can also secrete toxins. Thoroughly wash your hands with warm, soapy water after contact with any pet, its habitat, or aquarium water. Adults should assist children with hand-washing.
Pets purchased at PetSmart are part of our exclusive Vet Assured™ program, designed by PetSmart veterinarians to help improve the health and well being of our pets.
Our vendors meet a high standard in caring for pets and screening them for common illnesses. This program also includes specific standards for in-store pet care.
If your pet becomes ill during the initial 14-day period, or if you’re not satisfied for any reason, PetSmart will gladly replace the pet or refund the purchase price.
Rep-Cal Herptivite Reptile and Amphibian MultivitaminsDiscounted Price $10.29 Old Price $13.99$9.785% off Auto Ship
All Living Things® Green Reptile MossDiscounted Price $3.57 Old Price $6.97
All Living Things® Mini Heat MatDiscounted Price $4.57 Old Price $19.99
Zoo Med Can O'Snails No Shell Farm Raised SnailsDiscounted Price $5.09 Old Price $7.69$4.845% off Auto Ship
Exo Terra® Coco Husk Tropical Reptile Terrarium SubstrateOld Price $7.99
Zoo Med™ Reptile Terrarium MossDiscounted Price $8.99 Old Price $9.39
Rep-Cal Phosphorus-Free Reptile and Amphibian Calcium with Vitamin D SupplementDiscounted Price $5.79 Old Price $8.44$5.505% off Auto Ship
Fluker's® Gourmet Style CricketsDiscounted Price $2.79 Old Price $3.59$2.655% off Auto Ship