REPTILE / new pets
A Set-up Guide for Your New Tree Frog
Tips for home, health and fun
Five things to know about your tree frog
- Tree frogs can live up to 15 years, depending on the variety
- Green tree frogs grow up to 3inches, other types grow up to 5 inches
- Their mating calls can be very loud
- The sticky disks on their feet allow them to scale walls
- They’re low maintenance and make great first-time pets
Your tree frog’s home
Most tree frogs can share a terrarium with frogs of roughly the same size or tropical lizards, such as anoles. Cuban tree frogs, however, prefer to live alone.
Your little amphibians will need a terrarium that’s at least 10-gallons and relatively tall, because tree frogs love to climb. Be sure the terrarium has a screened lid. Did we mention that tree frogs love to climb?
Decorating your frogs’ habitat
- Line the bottom of the terrarium with 2 to 3 inches of coconut-fiber or bark bedding. Scoop the poop at least once a week and change the bedding completely once a month.
- Provide loads of live or artificial branches for climbing and froggy acrobatics.
Heat & lights
- Tree frogs are nocturnal. They don’t require sunlight, but they do need lighting that mimics a day and night cycle in their habitat. If they’re in a dim room, light the terrarium for 12 hours daily with a fluorescent bulb.
- At night, switch to a night-specific bulb so you can watch your frog with minimum disturbance.
- Your frog’s terrarium temperature must be kept between 75 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit during the day, and 65 F to 75 F at night. If necessary, use a heat bulb or a night-specific heat lamp for warmth. A thermometer at each end of the tank will help you monitor the temperature.
- Keep the habitat humidity between 50% and 80%. Use a hygrometer — a device that measures humidity — to keep track.
Help keep your tree frog healthy
Tree frogs need supplemental Vitamin D in their diets.
Try not to handle new frogs for three or four days to give them a chance acclimate to their new surroundings. Whether your frog is new or settled-in, be sure to contact a vet if you notice any of these symptoms of illness or distress:
- More time spent hiding
- Eating or drinking less; weight loss
- Discolored skin
- Swollen joints
- Discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth
- Runny droppings for more than two days
Pets purchased at PetSmart are part of our exclusive Vet Assured™ program, designed by PetSmart veterinarians to help improve the health and well-being of our pets. Our vendors meet a high standard in caring for pets and screening them for common illnesses. This program also includes specific standards for in-store pet care.
The PetSmart Promise: If your pet becomes ill during the initial 14-day period, or if you’re not satisfied for any reason, PetSmart will gladly replace the pet or refund the purchase price.
Zoo Med ReptiHabitat Tropical Kit, 10 GallonDiscounted Price $85.99 Old Price $99.99
All Living Things® Reptile Habitat Thermometer & HygrometerDiscounted Price $13.97 Old Price $20.99
Zoo Med ReptiBark Natural Reptile BeddingDiscounted Price $5.99 Old Price $8.29
Zoo Med Repti Rock Reptile DishOld Price $6.99