REPTILE / new pets
A Set-up Guide for Your New Eyelash Crested Gecko or Gargoyle Gecko
Tips for home, health and fun
5 things to know about eyelash crested geckos
- Experience Level: Beginner
- Size: They grow as long as 10 inches (25 cm)
- Lifespan: They can live up to 15 years
- Behavior: They love to climb
- Did You Know: When threatened, eyelash crested geckos will detach their tails. Unlike other geckos, though, their tails don’t grow back
How do I set up my eyelash crested gecko’s home?
- Eyelash crested geckos (named for the distinct ridge above their eyes) can live in pairs, but don’t put 2 males together.
- Choose a terrarium that’s a minimum of 20 gallons. Geckos are climbers, so the terrarium should be at least 20 inches (51 cm) high, with a screened lid.
- Line the bottom of the terrarium with 2 to 3 (5-8 cm) inches of coconut-fiber or bark bedding. Scoop the waste at least once a week and change the bedding completely at least once a month.
- Add a rock or wooden place for hiding.
- Provide lots of branches, either live or artificial, for climbing.
Heat & light
- Eyelash crested geckos originate from the South Pacific and require a warm, humid environment.
- Your eyelash crested gecko’s terrarium should be warmer at the top and cooler at the bottom. By day, keep the temperature at the top of the terrarium between 80 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit (27 to 30 Celsius) and the temperature at the bottom of the terrarium between 75 and 80 F (24 to 27 C). At night, the whole tank should be 65 to 75 F (18 to 24 C).
- Use a heat bulb or ceramic heat emitter to keep the warm part of the tank at the correct temperature.
- Monitor the temperature of the habitat with 2 thermometers, one at the top and one at the bottom.
- Habitat humidity should be between 50% and 80%. Use a hygrometer (a humidity gauge) to keep track.
- Geckos need lighting that mimics the day and night cycle. If you put their terrarium in a dim room, light the terrarium for 12 hours daily with a fluorescent bulb.
- At night, switch to a night-specific bulb so you can watch your gecko with minimum disturbance.
What do eyelash crested geckos eat?
Eyelash crested geckos are omnivores; their diet consists of insects and fruits.
- Insects should be dusted with a calcium supplement twice weekly and a reptile multivitamin once weekly (geckos need an adequate supply of Vitamin D in their diet).
- Your gecko should have access to a shallow dish of clean water at all times. Geckos will also lick moisture from their skin and habitat.
- Provide your gecko with crested gecko powder 3 to 4 times a week.
How do I keep my eyelash crested gecko healthy?
Try not to handle new geckos for 3 or 4 days to give them a chance to get acclimated to their new surroundings. Whether your gecko is new or settled-in, be sure to contact a vet if you notice any of these symptoms of illness or distress:
- More time spent hiding
- Eating or drinking less; weight loss
- Swollen joints
- Discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth
- Runny droppings for more than 2 days
When threatened, eyelash crested geckos will detach their tails. Unlike other geckos, though, they can’t grow their tails back.
Try not to handle new geckos for three or four days to give them a chance to get acclimated to their new surroundings. Whether your gecko is new or settled-in, be sure to contact a vet if you notice any of these symptoms of illness or distress:
PET SAFETY TIPS
- Use caution when handling pets and remember they may bite (especially when stressed).
- Supervise children around pets.
- ALL ANIMALS can potentially carry viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic diseases contagious to humans.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with warm, soapy water before and after contact with any pet or its habitat.
- Adults should assist children with hand washing after contact with a pet, its habitat or aquarium water.
Pets purchased at PetSmart are part of our exclusive Vet Assured™ program, designed by PetSmart veterinarians to help improve the health and well being of our pets.
Our vendors meet a high standard in caring for pets and screening them for common illnesses. This program also includes specific standards for in-store pet care.
If your pet becomes ill during the initial 14-day period, or if you’re not satisfied for any reason, PetSmart will gladly replace the pet or refund the purchase price.
Eyelash Crested GeckoDiscounted Price $39.99 Old Price $49.99
All Living Things® Crested Gecko Powder FoodOld Price $8.99
All Living Things® Desert Tree Reptile OrnamentOld Price $44.99
Fluker's® Calcium Fortified Cricket QuencherDiscounted Price $1.39 Old Price $3.64$1.325% off Auto Ship
BugBox!™ Live CricketsOld Price $3.99
Rep-Cal Phosphorus-Free Reptile and Amphibian Calcium with Vitamin D SupplementDiscounted Price $5.79 Old Price $8.44$5.505% off Auto Ship
Rep-Cal Herptivite Reptile and Amphibian MultivitaminsDiscounted Price $10.29 Old Price $13.99$9.785% off Auto Ship