REPTILE / new pets
A Set-up Guide for Golden Geckos or White-Line Geckos
Tips for home, health and fun
Five things to know about your gecko
- Geckos can live up to 10 years
- They grow up to eight inches long
- White-line geckos are named for the stripe down their back
- Geckos are excellent climbers
- Geckos prefer not to be handled
How to set-up your gecko’s home
These two gecko species are solitary creatures that prefer to live alone. Choose a terrarium that’s a minimum of 20 gallons. Because geckos are climbers, the terrarium should be relatively tall with a screened lid.Shop terrariums
What to put in your gecko's habitat
- Line the bottom the terrarium with two to three inches of coconut-fiber or bark bedding. Scoop the poop at least once a week and replace their bedding completely once a month.
- Add a rock or wooden place for hiding on one side of the terrarium (this will become the habitat’s cool side).
- Provide lots of branches, either live or artificial, for climbing.
Heat & lights
- Geckos need lighting that mimics day and night. If their habitat is in a dim room, light the terrarium for 12 hours a day with a fluorescent bulb.
- At night, switch to a night-specific bulb so you can watch your gecko with minimum disturbance.
- A gecko’s terrarium should have a warm side and a cool side. By day, the temperature should be between 85 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit on the warm side, and between 70 F and 85 F on the cooler side. At night the whole tank should be between 65 F and 75 F.
- A heat bulb or ceramic heat emitter will keep the warm side at the right temperature. A thermometer at each end can help you regulate the habitat temperature overall.
- Your gecko’s habitat humidity should range of between 50% and 80%. Use a hygrometer — a device that measures humidity — to keep track.
Help keep your gecko healthy
Geckos need an adequate supply of Vitamin D in their diet.Shop gecko vitamin supplements
Try not to handle new geckos for three or four days to give them a chance to get acclimated to their new surroundings. Whether your gecko is new or settled-in, be sure to contact a vet if you notice any of these symptoms of illness or distress:
- More time spent hiding
- Eating or drinking less; weight loss
- Discolored skin
- Swollen joints
- Discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth
- Runny droppings for more than two days
Pets purchased at PetSmart are part of our exclusive Vet Assured ™ program, designed by PetSmart veterinarians to help improve the health and well-being of our pets. Our vendors meet a high standard in caring for pets and screening them for common illnesses. This program also includes specific standards for in-store pet care.
The PetSmart Promise: If your pet becomes ill during the initial 14-day period, or if you’re not satisfied for any reason, PetSmart will gladly replace the pet or refund the purchase price.
Exo Terra® Infrared Basking SpotDiscounted Price $5.49 Old Price $15.99$5.225% off Auto Ship
Zoo Med Repti Therm Reptile Under Tank HeaterDiscounted Price $17.99 Old Price $26.99$17.095% off Auto Ship
Zoo Med PowerSun Vapor UVB Reptile LampOld Price $65.99$62.695% off Auto Ship