FISH / health & care
A Teacher's Guide to Having Classroom Pets
Classroom pets offer valuable lessons — and lots of fun
You may be eligible for a grant!
If you’re a K-8 teacher in public or private school, you may be eligible for a grant to cover the cost of a classroom fish, small reptile or small mammal through Pets in the Classroom! Apply for the grant here.
Fun facts about Guinea pigs
- Guinea pigs jump up and down when they’re happy — it’s called “popcorning”!
- They’re sensitive to loud noises, so remind students to speak softly around their new fuzzy classmate.
- Guinea pigs need Vitamin C supplements to stay healthy.
Fun facts about goldfish
- Goldfish have been kept as pets for thousands of years, since the time of ancient China.
- They never close their eyes; meaning goldfish can sleep with their eyes open!
- Goldfish can see infrared and ultraviolet light — spectrums that we can’t see.
Fun facts about bearded dragons
- Bearded dragons — beardies — come from Australia.
- When they bob their heads, it means they’re feeling territorial.
- They sometimes wave their arms as though saying hello.