DOG / nutrition
Your Dog's Hip and Joint Health
Diet may help arthritis symptoms in aging dogs
Arthritis and the older dog
Aches and pains, creaky joints, stiffness — aging dogs can suffer the same problems some aging humans do.
As dogs get older, they lose cartilage in their joints, which can lead to inflammation and pain. This joint pain may affect a dog’s mobility.
Some larger breeds are more likely to suffer from joint pain. They include:
- Great Dane
- German shepherd
- Labrador retriever
- Golden retriever
- Doberman pinscher
The Benefits of a Hip and Joint Health Diet for Your Dog.
Some studies suggest that certain ingredients may provide support to dogs suffering from joint pain.
- Natural sources of glucosamine & chondroitin are building blocks of healthy cartilage.
- Balanced minerals help maintain strong bones.
- Omega 3 fatty acids, a healthy fat found in some fish, may help keep joint cartilage healthy, reduce inflammation and support improved mobility.
For optimal hip and joint health:
- Talk to your vet about the best diet and weight for your dog.
- Look for dog foods labeled “hip and joint health,” which contain Omega 3 fatty acids, plus other ingredients that may benefit achy dogs.
- Make sure your dog maintains a healthy weight. Even a few extra pounds, especially on a dog prone to joint problems, can be painful.
- Provide an orthopedic dog bed for support and comfort.