DOG / new pets
Puppy-Proofing Your Home
Help keep your curious pup safe
Puppies are energetic explorers who are too young to know what they should and shouldn’t get into. Part of your job as a new pet parent is to make sure your home is as safe as possible.
A puppy’s perspective
Start by getting on your hands and knees for a dog’s-eye view of your home. It may seem silly, but it really works and helps you identify anything dangerous or tempting in their line of sight.
For example, do the tablecloths have fringe or tassels that hang down? Are there any dangling mini-blind cords? Are there small or breakable objects that could get knocked off higher tables and end up in your puppy’s mouth? Could your pup get into the garbage?
The list of tantalizing, chewy objects goes on, but you get the point: remove or reposition what you can and restrict your puppy’s access to the rest.
In the puppy zone
Create a puppy-safe area you know will contain your young one safely. Close doors to off-limits areas and use safety gates to block staircases or anything that shouldn’t be explored without your supervision.Shop crates, gates & containment
Remember, your puppy is basically a curious toddler. Make sure you keep them far away from:
- Chemicals. Secure laundry detergent and other cleaning products in a cabinet with a latch. Remove automatic toilet bowl cleaners, because they can harm a puppy that tries drinking from the toilet.
- Houseplants. Some are poisonous to pets. It’s best to keep all plants well away from curious pets.
- Electric plugs, outlets and wires. Inspect your home for any frayed cords and always unplug appliances when you’re not using them.
- Hot spots. Fires, wood stoves, hot-water pipes, candles and space heaters are all burn hazards.
- Water. Until your puppy learns to swim, pools, bathtubs and open toilets can be hazardous.
Top Paw® Extra Tall Pet GateOld Price $109.99
Grreat Choice® Dog GateOld Price $37.99
Top Paw® Exercise PenDiscounted Price $89.99 Old Price $94.99
Skout's Honor® Super Sour! Apple Anti Chew SprayOld Price $10.99
Top Paw® 2-in-1 Double Door Pet Gate & PenOld Price $174.99
Grreat Choice® Dog CarrierOld Price $69.99
5142220Online Exclusive4 Sizes
MidWest iCrate Dog CrateOld Price $39.99
Top Paw® Dog Crate Replacement PanOld Price $19.99
1812483Online Exclusive5 Sizes
MidWest 8 Panel Exercise PenDiscounted Price $39.99 Old Price $75.99