BIRD / new pets
Parakeet Care Guide
Tips from home to health to food and fun
6 things to know about your parakeet
- Your parakeet has an average life span of 7 to 10 years
- Your parakeet’s friendly, loving personality makes him the most popular companion bird
- Your parakeet likes to be handled for at least half an hour a day
- Smart and easily trained, parakeets can be taught basic commands such as “step up” on to your hand and “step down” when putting them back into their cage
- With his raspy voice, Your parakeet can sometimes learn to speak
- Your parakeet is also called a budgie (same bird, different name)
How do I set up my parakeet’s home?
Your parakeet’s cage should remind him of his natural environment. This means that the bigger the cage (minimum 16x14x18"), the better. For sleeping, your parakeet may like to rest in a fleece-lined hut that hangs at the top of his cage. On the bottom of the cage, you’ll want to put down corn cob bedding, aspen wood pellets, recycled paper or cage liners. Bedding should be spot cleaned weekly and completely changed every month. Place the cage at or below eye level away from drafty windows and doors. Parakeets are also sensitive of odors so keep their home out of the kitchen.Shop cages Shop toys Shop bedding Read more about bird cages
What do parakeets eat?
Parakeets fly far and wide in the wild, so they enjoy a range of foods. Of course, standard birdseed and pellet blends are the mainstay of their diet, but your parakeet also enjoys veggies and sprouted seeds. Try a little appropriate fruit once a week for a special treat. And don’t forget fresh, clean water everyday
- Pelleted Food/pellet seed blend: Refresh daily with the bowl always 3/4 full = 75 percent of diet
- Vegetables: Dark leafy greens fed every other day = 20 percent of diet
- Fruits: apple, bananas, melons once a week = 5 percent of diet
- Treats: honey sticks or millet spray once monthly
- Water: Change daily and provide at all times
How can I play with and groom my parakeet?
Parakeets love to interact with their owners and entertain themselves inside their cages with toys. Outside of the cage, a T-stand or playpen makes a good home away from home.
Your pet bird loves to preen and clean. Offer him a warm bird bath 2-3 times a week, or a refreshing mist from a spray bottle.
How can I keep my parakeet healthy?
To make sure your parakeet stays happy and calm, refrain from handling your new bird for three or four days — he needs to get used to his new surroundings. If your parakeet displays any of these symptoms, check in with a vet:
- Less active than usual
- Preening less than usual
- Droppings don’t look like they usually do
- Sitting on the bottom of his cage for long stretches of time
- Sneezing or has discharge around his nose or mouth
- Feathers are fluffed up for long periods of time
PET SAFETY TIPS
- ALL ANIMALS can potentially carry viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic diseases contagious to humans.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with warm, soapy water before and after contact with any pet or its habitat.
- Adults should assist children with hand washing after contact with a pet, its habitat or aquarium water.
Pets purchased at PetSmart are part of our exclusive Vet Assured™ program, designed by PetSmart veterinarians to help improve the health and well being of our pets.
Our vendors meet a high standard in caring for pets and screening them for common illnesses. This program also includes specific standards for in-store pet care.
If your pet becomes ill during the initial 14-day period, or if you’re not satisfied for any reason, PetSmart will gladly replace the pet or refund the purchase price.
Fancy ParakeetOld Price $23.99
KAYTEE® Fiesta Max Parakeet FoodDiscounted Price $11.99 Old Price $15.49$11.395% off Auto Ship
Green ParakeetOld Price $23.99
All Living Things® Parakeet Nesting BoxDiscounted Price $9.99 Old Price $10.99
KAYTEE® Gourmet Fruit & Vegetable Parakeet TreatDiscounted Price $5.99 Old Price $8.99$5.695% off Auto Ship
Prevue Pet Products Square Top Parakeet CageDiscounted Price $99.99 Old Price $195.00