BIRD / new pets
Conure Care Guide
Tips from home to health to food and fun
6 things to know about conures
- Experience Level: Intermediate
- Size: Conures grow to about 15 inches (38 cm) long
- Lifespan: They can live as long as 20 years
- Temperament: Conures have playful personalities
- Behavior: They need at least one hour of daily interaction with their humans
- Origin: Conures are native to Central and South America
How do I set up my conure’s home?
- Keep conures in a cage large enough for them to stretch their wings, climb and play.
- Your conure’s cage should be 18 x 22 x 24 inches at minimum. The bigger the cage, the better.
- Provide at least 2 perches of different thickness and materials; the variation helps keep bird feet strong and healthy. The perches should also be placed at different heights.
- Don’t place perches over food or water dishes, because droppings will make a mess where your pet eats and drinks.
- Conures like a small fleece hut hung from the top of their cage. They use it for privacy.
- Birds are sensitive to smoke, strong smells and drafts. Keep the cage away from the kitchen and open windows, and out of direct sunlight.
- Cushion the floor of the cage with an inch or 2 of corncob, aspen, wood-pellet or recycled-paper bedding, or use a cage liner. Remove droppings frequently, spot-clean the liner or bedding weekly, and replace it entirely at least once a month.
- Cover the cage at night
What do conures eat?
Conures enjoy a range of foods, including commercial birdseed, fruits and vegetables and occasional treats.
- Pellets should make up 75% of your conure's diet. Keep your bird’s food bowl three-quarters full and refresh it daily.
- Feed your conure dark, leafy greens every other day.
- Offer your bird apple, banana or melon once a week.
- Once a month, offer your bird scrambled or boiled egg, wheat pasta, beans and/or peas as a special treat.
- Conures should have access to a cuttlebone or a mineral block at all times to help keep their beaks healthy.
- Your conure should have access to fresh, clean water at all times.
How can I play with and groom my conure?
- Conures are smart and sociable. With practice they can learn some tricks such as "step up" and "step down." They can even mimic human speech.
- Your conure will enjoy spending time outside of the cage every day. Provide a T-stand or playpen as a hangout. Do not use these stands outside.
- Inside the cage, keep your conure busy with at least two 2 or three 3 different toys, including foraging puzzles and squeakers.
- 2 or 3 times a week, give your conure a bowl of warm water to use as a bath. Or mist your bird gently with warm water from a clean spray bottle.
How do I keep my conure healthy?
Conures who regularly pick at their feathers may be bored. If you notice yours doing this, it’s time for new toys.
Try not to handle conures for 3 to 4 days after bringing them home to give them time to adjust.
Even a settled-in bird can feel sick. If you notice any of these signs of illness or distress, contact a veterinarian who treats birds:
- Decreased appetite or weight loss
- Decreased activity or grooming
- Feathers fluffed up for a long time
- Long periods sitting at the bottom of the cage
- Discharge from nose or mouth
- Change in droppings for more than 2 days
PET SAFETY TIPS
- Use caution when handling pets and remember they may bite or scratch (especially when stressed).
- Supervise children around pets.
- ALL ANIMALS can potentially carry viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic diseases contagious to humans.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with warm, soapy water before and after contact with any pet or its habitat.
- Adults should assist children with hand washing after contact with a pet, its habitat or aquarium water.
Pets purchased at PetSmart are part of our exclusive Vet Assured™ program, designed by PetSmart veterinarians to help improve the health and well being of our pets.
Our vendors meet a high standard in caring for pets and screening them for common illnesses. This program also includes specific standards for in-store pet care.
If your pet becomes ill during the initial 14-day period, or if you’re not satisfied for any reason, PetSmart will gladly replace the pet or refund the purchase price.
KAYTEE® Kay-Kob® Small Pet Bedding & Litter$9.09 $10.24$8.645% off Auto Ship
All Living Things® Grape Bird Perch$7.99
PetSmart Green Cheek Conure$349.99
KAYTEE® Fiesta Conure Food$15.68 $23.99$14.905% off Auto Ship
All Living Things® Beach Sand Bird Perch$14.99
KAYTEE® Wood Pellet Bedding$9.99$9.495% off Auto Ship
Tropical Carnival ZOO-VITAL Extruded Daily Diet for Parrots & Conures$11.99 $14.99$11.395% off Auto Ship
All Living Things® Orthopedic Sand Bird Perch$20.99
Higgins Sunburst Gourmet Blend Conure Food$12.42 $12.99$11.805% off Auto Ship
Vitakraft® VitaSmart Parrot & Conure Food$9.14 $17.99$8.685% off Auto Ship