An Important Update Regarding PetSmart’s Response to the Coronavirus
Updated July 22
As we continue to monitor news and information surrounding the coronavirus crisis, our highest priority remains caring for our teams and supporting the people, pets and communities that rely on our stores. Our hearts continue to be with all those impacted, as well as those stepping up to care for others.
We’re working quickly to adapt to the changing needs brought on by the pandemic. Please see below for the most up-to-date information.
To help stop the spread of COVID-19, all customers and associates must wear a face covering or mask over their nose and mouth while shopping in our stores.
- If you don’t have a mask, ask an associate for one.
- Please maintain 6 ft. of social distancing between you and others.
- Do not enter if you have any COVID-19 symptoms or are not feeling well.
- Curbside Pickup is available if you want to limit contact with others.
Essential Retail Business
PetSmart is designated as an essential retail business because we, along with other pet stores, supply nearly one-third of all dog and cat food needed by pet parents. We have been asked to keep our stores open and shelves stocked by local governing bodies across the country. To help accommodate increased demands and better serve our customers’ needs, we expanded our Buy Online, Pick Up in Store capabilities and launched a Curbside Pickup program.
Temporary store hours are 9 a.m. ‐ 7 p.m., Mon. through Sat., and 10 a.m. ‐ 7 p.m. on Sundays*. Several of our locations, however, have recently adjusted hours to close at 8 or 9 p.m., Mon. through Sat. To confirm hours of operation at your local store, please click here.
Cleaning and Disinfecting Protocols
We increased the frequency of store cleanings and are regularly disinfecting common touchpoints and surfaces throughout the entire store including shopping carts and baskets, check-out stations, the main store area, associate-only breakrooms, restrooms and all services areas. In addition, we have supplied our teams with enhanced disinfecting products that are EPA-approved for use against the virus that causes COVID-19.
Social Distancing Measures
The CDC recommends staying at least six feet (two meters) from other people, refraining from gathering in groups and avoiding crowded places. We’ve implemented several social distancing measures to support these recommendations including:
- Hanging signage throughout the store and playing in-store announcements to remind associates and pet parents about the importance of social distancing
- Operating every other register to create additional space for pet parents during check-out
- Staggering salon appointment arrival times and salon staff schedules to limit the number of associates and pet parents within the salon at a time
- Temporarily cancelling in-store events that may have drawn a crowd
- Installing plexiglass shields at high traffic registers in each of our store locations.
The majority of our grooming salons are currently open with a small number remaining closed in accordance with local government orders or where we aren’t able to support hours of operation with appropriate coverage.
Training services in most stores are currently open, as well as some of our PetsHotel and Doggie Day camp locations. To find the nearest store that is offering these services, please click here.
Everyday in-store adoptions have resumed on a small-scale, and our PetSmart Charities Everyday Adoption Centers and 7-Day Cat Centers remain open. To find a center near you, please click here.
Our associates have been working tirelessly to support pet parents and their pets and we sincerely appreciate their extra efforts during this time. We are continually amazed by their willingness to go above and beyond and are so grateful to have such a dedicated and compassionate team.
All our associates are eligible to apply for financial assistance through the PetSmart Associate Assistance Foundation (PAAF). Our company has been proud to offer this resource, funded by donations from PetSmart and fellow associates since 2011, to help one another in times of need. PAAF stands ready to support and serve our associates.
For more detailed information, please visit our COVID-19 FAQs.
* Local laws may affect Sunday hours at certain stores. Check with your local store.