National Geographic™ Aqua Oasis Starter Kit
Love the features of this tank. Plusses are:
1) Great Bowfront design with seamless front corners is sleek, clean and modern looking.
2) "Long' versus "Tall" tank allow fish more room to swim and more surface area for aeration.
3) Low profile top with submerged filter/pump is clean and uncluttered.
4) LED lighting is beautiful in both the blue and white colors.
5) Great value for a tank with all of the features above. (Got it on sale for $119)
1) Fixed LED light issue before I even put water in the tank, as suggested in other posts by sealing the LED control unit with Aquarium Silicone.
2) National Geographic brand is only sold at Petsmart, so you are limited as to where to get replacement supplies for the filter. Not too expensive, but less choice than with other brands of filters.
December 22, 2014
This is one of the most beautiful small tanks out there. The sides and front are a seamless curved piece of glass and it's stunning when set up. I have gotten so many compliments. It's a 5 star tank except for the lighting, as other reviewers have mentioned. The tank top is open to the inside of the tank, exposing the electrical to evaporation and the lights malfunction as a result. If you can seal it with aquarium safe silicone and don't mind, go for it. The lighting is cool, fun and beautiful when working. I think it's worth the purchase just for the tank itself.
November 23, 2014
FIXED the light issue.
I bought this tank and love the seamless front. Three weeks after setup the light went out. I had to buy another tank (the same) in order to get a new light, since the light is built into the lid and is NOT a universal shape. The second light went out.
I bought the "Marineland Hidden LED Lighting System" :
I UNattached the original light and used the suction cups (included) to attach new system to under-side of lid. dropped the water a smidge, and PERFECTION!
It's been four months and I am overjoyed with my new tank.
November 7, 2014
How to fix LED...
Great aquarium, lousy LED light. Flickering and random on/off within 2 months of purchase. I removed the screws and light casing and found it full of water. Dried it over 3 or 4 days (including using a hot hair dryer frequently) and then put a bead of silicon seal (used in showers, bathrooms, etc) on the bottom and reattached the light box. Then, I put several beads around and around the box completely sealing all water entry points. Light works again just fine. Hopefully will not be a recurring problem. Original seal was minimal.
October 31, 2014