Rated 3 out of 5 by JedMa This is my first aquarium. Purchased it on high ratings and recommendations from users. Yes, it is pretty. Purchased 09-2015. Here are my beefs:
1) It took two plus months to get the tank cycled so that Jed could move in. If you are new to aquariums, this is a concern. No bad marks on this tank specifically. Search "cycling tanks" online. Assume 6-8 weeks before putting fish in. Just an FYI for the new aquarium enthusiast.
2) Acrylic tank scratches horribly in a very short period of time. Whether it is more durable than glass I cannot say. But buyer beware. Was using a magnetized aquarium cleaner.
3) Acrylic see-thru lid arrived - not pictured here. It reflected the LED lights like a mirror. It was terribly distracting. The aquarium's filter system is an open waterfall design. Its quiet. But you have to place it high in the tank. Eventually, it almost always started running water inside the tank lid, across it inside. Condensation was a constant issue, dripping and ugly.
4) Biggest issue is only after 3-4 months the tank started leaking all along the bottom front seam. At first we ignored it. It's gotten now to where it can drop as much as a gallon a day. So we tore it down. Hubby doesn't believe it is fixable. This is due to combination of full bottom seam around edge of tank and concern about how to fix it without endangering fish.
Reviewing a lot of the "Marineland | Tetra" tanks on Amazon shows that many people have issues with these tanks leaking. Sometimes even the replacement tanks leak.
As the tank is a total now of 9 months old, not sure they will warranty other than a replacement tank. Not sure I want to bother but I guess I can get another until we move to a bigger place. My fish is back in his gallon bowl and my cycled plants, gravel and bio-filter items are sitting in a 5 gallon bucket with bubbler and heat. Hopefully I can keep all that happy until a new tank can be obtained.
Tank is beautiful and perfect for a small space, but please be aware of what you are getting into with a Marineland tank.
The Petsmart Top Fin seems to be getting good reviews..when I upgrade to a bigger tank I may try that brand the next time.
May 19, 2016
Rated 4 out of 5 by Stitch1 It's Awesome for Bettas!!
So I had my betta in a 2.5 with no heater or filter. Big mistake. Since he doesn't like to eat a lot of food, the food sticks to the plants and makes nasty stuff. So I got this system on sale for 40 bucks. I set it up and put the filter on the medium level since the the lowest setting was somewhat weak. He loves it now!! I got him a 25 watt heater and a snail and some danio friends. He is doing great!! The only downside is the price. If it had a heater with it then the price is understandable. But I'm getting another one for my other betta very soon!!
January 9, 2016
Rated 4 out of 5 by Khepur Great tank, fantastic for small set-up
A good, sturdy tank. The filter included does take up a bit of room (hence the four stars), but it's quiet enough that I can't hear it from where I keep the tank on a bedside table. I haven't had any problems with the lights or the filter in the nine months I've had it.
The filter also does not suck up baby fish! I'd moved a pregnant guppy into the tank so she wouldn't be harassed, and she gave birth earlier than expected. I came home from work to find a bunch of little fry lurking in the decor. I checked the filter immediately, but none had been sucked into it, and they still hadn't after a few days. (I did move them eventually to a 10 gallon since there were so many fry.)
So far I am loving this tank. :)
June 7, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by ArgoinIN My Betta Loves It!
I had seen that reviews for this tank system were a little mixed online, but when my Eclipse 3 hood and light setup finally gave up the ghost (that particular tank is now discontinued), I had to go a different direction for my Betta. Marineland is a company I trust (the Eclipse gave me many good years), and the price was right, and on sale, so I went with the 5 gallon Crescent.
I am so glad I did! The tank is pristine, a good size to just barely fit a desktop, but still big enough to give a fish plenty of roaming room. The LEDs are bright and make the aquarium occupant's colors really stand out. The design takes a little to get used to, because the light hangs over the top, rather than there being a legitimate 'hood' set up, and the Tetra hanging filter cuts into the 5 gallon space but not badly-- and the filter media for it is pretty inexpensive, compared to some brands! The cutout in the top cover works perfectly for feeding, and it didn't take my Betta long to learn where it was and wait under it, impatiently, at feeding time!
Some heads ups for prospective buyers:
- The top does not fit the tank while it is empty. The tank 'bows' slightly in the front when filled with water, allowing the tank top to fit in perfectly. Don't be fooled by reviews that say it doesn't fit... it doesn't fit, but only when the tank is empty!
- No heater is included with this tank. It needs to be picked up separately, if you do not already have one. I was fortunate enough to have a small tank heater already.
March 6, 2015