- Add water to HydroBalls to increase humidity levels for all tropical reptiles
- Great for landscaping, HydroBalls help keep plants in place
- Use with a pump to create a waterfall & generate waterflow for optimum filtration
Use HydroBalls lightweight, expanded clay terrarium substrate as a base layer underneath Eco Earth (sold separately) or other substrates to create an underground water table in naturalistic terrariums. Add water for a natural "aquifer" and to increase humidity levels for all tropical species. HydroBalls are an excellent substrate for live plant root growth and can be used for biological filtration for a waterfall.
Drainage Layer/Aquifer Instructions:
1.Rinse prior to use to remove any dust.
2. Pour a base layer of HydroBalls into your terrarium to a minimum depth of 2" for proper aquifer level.
3. Add a layer of the non-corrosive screen mesh on top of the HydroBalls layer to prevent the top substrate from mixing with the HydroBalls.
4. Add the substrate of choice over the screen mesh to complete the substrate layer setup.
5. Add dechlorinated water to create a natural aquifer. Use terrarium water conditioner to safely remove chlorine from the water.
6. To create a natural pond in your terrarium, vary the depth of the HydroBalls layer to create a shallow pond area. Add water to the desired depth so that the pond fills with water but the remaining areas are dry. If desired, add gravel to line the bottom of the pond.
1. Insert a small submersible pump into the back corner of your terrarium. Connect a hose of suitable length to the pump that will direct the water to the desired waterfall source location.
2. Follow the above Drainage Layer/Aquifer Instructions, making sure to completely cover the pump with HydroBalls and water.
3. Add a background to the back wall of terrarium to cover hose.
4. Run the hose through a hole in the upper portion of the background. After plugging in your pump, water will flow down the background and back into the HydroBalls layer. The HydroBalls layer will function as a biological filter media.
When a pump is used to generate waterflow through the HydroBalls layer, a natural filter and ecosystem is created. With the proper setup, your terrarium should stay clean for long periods of time. When it comes time to clean, rinse HydroBalls in dechlorinated room temperature water to avoid disrupting the biological activity of this filter media.
Made in Norway.2.5 lbs