REPTILE / new pets
Kingsnake, Milk Snake and Corn Snake Care Guide
Kingsnake, Milk Snake and Corn Snake Care GuideTips for home, health and fun
3 things to know about kingsnakes, milk snakes or corn snakes
- Experience Level: Beginner
- Size: Kingsnakes and corn snakes grow 40-60 (101-152 cm) inches long Milk snakes grow 18-60 (45-152 cm) inches long
- Lifespan: They can live more than 20 years
How do I set up my kingsnake, milk snake or corn snake's habitat?
Corn snakes can live with other corn snakes. Kingsnakes and milk snakes must be housed alone. One fully-grown snake will need a terrarium of at least 20 gallons, and possibly much larger, with a screened lid. Multiple snakes will require more space.
- Line the bottom of the terrarium with 2 inches of aspen reptile bedding.
- Remove the waste frequently and treat your snake to fresh bedding once per month.
- Provide a wide, shallow water dish for your snake to soak in.
- Stock the tank with branches for hiding and climbing.
- Add a rock or wood hiding place on the side of the terrarium that will be the cool side.
- Make sure nothing in the terrarium will wobble or topple if your pet slithers over it.
Heat & light
- Kingsnakes, corn snakes and milk snakes require a temperate habitat.
- Your snake's terrarium should have a warm side and a cool side. By day, keep the warm side between 80 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit (27 to 29 Celsius) and the cool side between 70 and 75 F (21 to 24 C). At night, the whole terrarium should be 65 to 70 F (18 to 21 C).
- Use a heat bulb or ceramic heat emitter to keep the warm part of the tank at the correct temperature.
- Monitor the temperature of the habitat with 2 thermometers, one on each side.
- Habitat humidity should be between 30% and 50%. Use a hygrometer (a humidity gauge) to keep track.
- Kingsnakes, corn snakes and milk snakes are nocturnal, but they need lighting that mimics day and night. Use a fluorescent bulb in the habitat to mimic daylight for 12 hours a day.
- At night, switch to a night-specific bulb so you can watch your pet with minimum disturbance.
What do kingsnakes, milk snakes and corn snakes eat?
- Kingsnakes, milk snakes and corn snakes are carnivores; their diet consists primarily of rodents.
- Feed your snake frozen mice or rats that have been thawed.
- Offer your snake food weekly, although an adult snake may not feed for several weeks at a time.
- Hold the rodent with tongs when offering it to your snake.
- If you keep more than one snake in the same habitat, they may behave territorially while feeding. Reduce this behavior by feeding each snake in a separate habitat.
How do I keep my kingsnake, milk snake or corn snake healthy?
Try not to handle new snakes for 3 or 4 days to give them a chance to get acclimated to their new surroundings. Whether your snake is new or settled-in, be sure to contact a vet if you notice any of these symptoms of illness or distress:
- Avoidance of the basking area; more time spent hiding
- Eating or drinking less; weight loss
- Shedding problems; discolored skin
- Discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth
- Labored breathing
PET SAFETY TIPS
- Use caution when handling pets and remember they may bite (especially when stressed).
- Ensure complete body support when picking up your snake.
- ALL ANIMALS can potentially carry viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic diseases contagious to humans.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with warm, soapy water before and after contact with any pet or its habitat.
- Adults should assist children with hand washing after contact with a pet, its habitat or aquarium water.
Pets purchased at PetSmart are part of our exclusive Vet Assured™ program, designed by PetSmart veterinarians to help improve the health and well being of our pets.
Our vendors meet a high standard in caring for pets and screening them for common illnesses. This program also includes specific standards for in-store pet care.
If your pet becomes ill during the initial 14-day period, or if you're not satisfied for any reason, PetSmart will gladly replace the pet or refund the purchase price.
Exo Terra® Worm Dish Reptile Bowl$13.99
Online Exclusive2 Sizes
Exo Terra® Day & Night LED Terrarium Fixture$38.99$37.045% off Auto Ship
Zoo Med™ Aspen Snake Bedding$9.99
Exo Terra® Reptile Terrarium Amapallo Plant Replica$5.99
All Living Things® Reptile Digital Thermometer$9.99
National Geographic™ Rainforest Cave Reptile Hideaway$29.99
All Living Things® Aspen Reptile Bedding$9.99
Zoo Med™ Day/Night Desert Lighting Kit$47.99 $59.99
All Living Things® Reptile Habitat Thermometer & Hygrometer$20.99
National Geographic™ Rope Vine Aquarium Plant$3.60 $11.99
Zoo Med™ Repti Rock Reptile Dish$5.99
All Living Things® Reptile Terrarium Vine$10.99