FISH / health & care
A Teacher's Guide to Having Classroom Pets
Classroom pets offer valuable lessons — and lots of fun
You may be eligible for a grant!
If you’re a K-8 teacher in public or private school, you may be eligible for a grant to cover the cost of a classroom fish, small reptile or small mammal through Pets in the Classroom! Apply for the grant here.
Fun facts about Guinea pigs
- Guinea pigs jump up and down when they’re happy — it’s called “popcorning”!
- They’re sensitive to loud noises, so remind students to speak softly around their new fuzzy classmate.
- Guinea pigs need Vitamin C supplements to stay healthy.
Fun facts about goldfish
- Goldfish have been kept as pets for thousands of years, since the time of ancient China.
- They never close their eyes; meaning goldfish can sleep with their eyes open!
- Goldfish can see infrared and ultraviolet light — spectrums that we can’t see.
Fun facts about bearded dragons
- Bearded dragons — beardies — come from Australia.
- When they bob their heads, it means they’re feeling territorial.
- They sometimes wave their arms as though saying hello.
shop this article
Tetra® TetraPond Koi Growth Fish Food$29.99 $39.99$28.495% off Auto Ship
Tetra® Pond Submersible Flat Box Filter$22.63 $32.99
All Living Things® Papaya Bite Small Animal Treat$3.49$3.325% off Auto Ship
All Living Things® Daily Diet Hamster & Gerbil Food$5.99$5.695% off Auto Ship
Oxbow Timothy Club Small Animal Timothy TunnelN/A
All Living Things® Multi-Level Small Animal Cage$219.99 $259.99
Marshall Small Animal Woven Grass Mat$3.99$3.795% off Auto Ship
Exo Terra® Worm Dish Reptile Bowl$14.69
Online Exclusive2 Sizes
Exo Terra® Day & Night LED Terrarium Fixture$38.99$37.045% off Auto Ship
Zoo Med™ Aspen Snake Bedding$5.56 $9.99