DOG / fun & fashion
Halloween Food and Decoration Safety Guide for Pets
We love including our pets in our holiday celebrations! Dressing them up in costumes, trick-or-treating, playing with holiday-themed toys, but it’s important to learn about the dangers associated with the holidays to ensure their safety. Here’s a list of hazardous food and decorations to avoid around your pets:
- Sugar substitute found in gum, mints, candy & baked goods
- 1/8 teaspoon can cause dangerously low blood sugar in dogs
- 1/2 teaspoon can cause liver damage
Candy corn, chocolate and other sweet treats are perfectly fine for kids on Halloween, but your pets should avoid these sweet human foods when it’s time for trick or treating!
Natural stimulants in this Halloween staple can cause a range of symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythm & death.
Check out the petMD Chocolate Toxicity Meter to find out if your pet has consumed too much chocolate.
May cause a toxic reaction in dogs from vomiting to kidney failure.
Jack-O’-Lanterns & Corn
These fall decorations can cause gastrointestinal upset in large doses.
Candy Wrappers & Lollipop Sticks
Cellophane, plastic & paper sticks can cause gastrointestinal upset or bowel obstruction.
Can cause drooling, irritation, agitation & vomiting.
Hot wax & flames can potentially burn your pet's nose, tongue or tail when within reach.
Sharing these types of beverages can be toxic with symptoms ranging from bloat to respiratory failure.