Rated 4.3 out of 5 by 47
Rated 5 out of 5 by Mandy816 Great!
I was searching for a water fountain for my cats. I knew I didn't want a plastic one because I've heard some of the plastic fountains contain BPA, and stumbled upon this ceramic fountain. I know the price may be a little off-putting (it definitely was for me), but this is a great fountain! I've had it for over a month now and we love it! My cats want nothing to do with wet cat food, and part of keeping them healthy is making sure they get plenty of fluids to stay hydrated and this fountain does it--they drink SO much more water from this than they ever did from their normal water bowl. It was very easy to assemble, has a relaxing sound and it's easy to clean. No complaints thus far.
Tip: When it starts making a sound that resembles Darth Vader's breathing, it's time to add more water.
October 14, 2015
Rated 1 out of 5 by izzylou23 Drinkwell Avalon Pet Fountain
Well, the Drinkwell Avalon Pet Fountain I purchased from Petsmart is a complete lemon. After about 5-10 minutes of assembly, I have a completely useless large decorative bowl of STAGNANT water for my cats. Kind of defeats the purpose of a fountain, eh? And yes, the buzzing sound that somebody else mentioned is very annoying, especially considering it does not work at all! Do yourself a favor, do NOT waste your $$ on this product.
May 11, 2015
Rated 3 out of 5 by CountryCat12 Pretty, but too loud...
I love this fountain. It is sleek and beautiful and works well. However, the sound of the running water (not the motor), is much louder than the original plastic fountain, and my cat won't use it. Alas, I will have to go back to the plastic one. But I prefer this one. Probably better for dogs who won't mind the loud sound.
March 29, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by AmMaltyRescuesMR Great Investment : Worth A Couple Slight Cons
Overall, if you have the money to invest in this product, I would definitely recommend this product. A great birthday / Christmas / ‘just because’ gift for your precious pooch. I bought the red version on this which I prefer. The pros definitely outweigh the cons. Here’s the list.
– encourages dogs to drink more water (I’ve definitely seen my dogs 2 dogs drink more water)
– worry free, clean, lazy proof (as a person with a penchant for not checking my dog’s water bowl all the time, I like that I don’t have to constantly fill my dogs water bowl; only once every 1-2 days)
– clean only once a week (just check for dirty stragglers and bugs)
– MOST IMPORTANTLY, it’s healthy in the long run (filtration for clean water plus less stress of future health issues from not drinking enough water. More health issue = more $$ in vet bills)
– on the expensive side
– a little tedious for set up / cleaning / changing filters
– buying and changing the 2 different filters
– a little noisy if you don’t like the sound of running water (TV / music in my house usually overpowers it)
– somewhat hard to keep track of how much water they drink
– I personally wish the pictures in the booklet were in color
– it is made of ceramic so it’s easy to break then plastic; however, maybe ceramic is cheaper then making this product out of a non-bpa plastic (I had to return my original one because the center spout was broken for whatever reason)
– keep track of how much water your pooch drinks. It is suggested that dogs drink 0.3 - 1.07 oz per/lb of the pet's actual weight (20-70 mL per/kg). If your pooch is consuming significantly more than the indicated amounts, this may be a sign of polydipsia or another disease, please seek the counsel of a veterinarian as soon as possible
– for the water to flow on both sides, make sure there is enough water inside the fountain
– follow the directions given and clean it at least once a week and change the filters
– make sure the charcoal filter is thoroughly washed. I suggest twice or else there will be some charcoal dust in the water. At least charcoal is just harmless burnt carbon turned to ash which we all eat if you eat something that is burnt like toast.
– I also suggest if you see charcoal dust in the fountain, just dump some of the water in the pot for your plants
– before you leave the pet store, open the box the fountain is stored in, take out the fountain and make sure that the ceramic parts of the fountain is not broken / scratch / or chipped
Love this product. Geez we spoil our pooches! ;)
March 23, 2015